Update from OSA Members’ Meeting – 24 March
The OSA held its Spring Members’ Meeting on Wednesday 24 March, its first as the renamed OSA! Members discussed vital issues for the industry including medical devices regulation and the future impact of AI and digital analysis. The meeting was also reminded of a fantastic summer event planned for members on the 23 June. A brief overview is attached here:
Post Brexit MDR/UDI and related issues
Ann Blackmore gave a presentation to members on the above. This presentation will be made available to members. Some key comments:
- With regards to the allocation of UDIs and uploading onto the database, Ann would be attending a Eurom 1 meeting later this afternoon which would discuss allocation of UDIs and uploading onto the database. Ann would report back to members in coming days on the outcome
- Ann confirmed an Authorised Representative has to have some relevant knowledge and be able to verify that the product meets the requirements of the MDR and specific documentation in line with the regulations
- If documents go to EU they are unlikely to need translation but should you need them translated for MHRA, a letter could go to MHRA regulatory team explaining this. In terms of CE mark to UKCA marking; if a company is currently self-certifying they can continue to do so.
Sale of 199
- This has been completed and funds paid to Eusebius the holding company. Accountants are being employed to close Eusebius Ltd and distribute net of tax funds to ABDO, FODO and OSA.
- This was postponed from its’ original date and has been moved to 29-31 January 2022
- The Chair confirmed 5-year contract with Media 10 has been rescheduled to 2022 to 2026 (from 21 to 25) to reflect this change.
Member benefits update and future direction of the OSA
- The Chair confirmed slimmed down membership categories and a 50% discount for second year running.
- Ann has helped with providing information on UK and European regulation
- The OSA and its partners are currently looking into reinvigorating the OC so it can have more influence.
- Work has started on a pan-sector committee to influence the NHS Reform and integration bill
- OSA members were invited to be part of the NHS X Committee– Digital Information and Data Strategy
- Greater Networking and collaboration between OSA members will be important once Covid restrictions have lifted. Members were informed via email last week that it is hoped to hold a Summer Members Meeting with dinner and overnight stay on 23 June. More details will be available in the coming weeks.
- Promoting OSA Members directly to Practices will be developed further.
- The OSA are currently discussing a National Optical Survey with Media 10 and some of the information gathered from that will be useful for members and used as a member benefit.
- The Chair would also like to hold a Business Leaders Luncheon and try to find a date in autumn (subject to restrictions being lifted).
Questions and comments were welcomed:
- Chris Hunt noted the importance and advancement of AI and Digital Analysis. He encouraged OSA to be in the driving seat in this area, as in the optical sector professional and industry bodies will have different objectives.
- Ann Blackmore added that she works part time for ECOO (European Council for Optometry and Optics) and supports their work on the development of technology and digital healthcare. Ann has slides from a recent meeting which can be shared with members.
- Frank Norville stated the importance of Lens Apprenticeships and training. The Vice Chair agreed with this and would speak to ABDO about this as they currently run an Optical Technicians Course. However, for lens training and manufacturing specifically, the OSA Lens Focus Group would review this and improve the current provision.
- Kevin Gutsell suggested a new Members Forum be created for common MHRA work and questions we require answers to.
The Chair wished to thank all those who attended the meeting. Members are encouraged to contact the OSA with any comments or suggestions on any further actions they wish to see. The Chair noted he looks forward to seeing members at the 23 June summer event.
- Ann’s MDR presentation will be sent to members along with EIT Health info.
- The meeting discussed the possibility of pulling together all queries, questions and comments from OSA members into one forum and Ann could send feedback to relevant people in MHRA. A sub-committee/forum of OSA members could be set up to co-ordinate questions that can go forward to the MHRA. OSA Board to discuss and action.
- OSA Sub/Committee/ Forum on AI and digital analysis to be discussed at the April board meeting. OSA Board to discuss and action.
- Lens manufacturing apprenticeships & training to be discussed at next Lens Focus group meeting. The ABDO training in this area also to be reviewed.
Key Dates to Note
- 23 June – Summer Members’ meeting with dinner: venue tbc
- 20 October – Members’ Meeting: venue tbc
- 10 December – AGM and Lunch – venue tbc